Monday, May 21, 2012

Worth the wait

Vedhika who plays the lead in Bala's Paradesi says she chooses only films that showcase her potential




When she first entered the Tamil tinsel world, Vedhika's sharp features and swift learning methods led quite a number of people to believe that a winner had arrived — this, despite the fact that quite a few of her films had not done all that well at the box office.



However, after a while, despite offers coming her way, Vedhika chose to wait for the right kind of scripts instead of hurrying into signing roles that lacked the potential to showcase her talent.



Now, the actor, it seems, has found that ideal role in Bala's eagerly-awaited Paradesi. Vedhika plays the lead along with Atharvaa in the film that is inspired by the Malayalam novel “Eriyum Thanal”. Although there has been no official confirmation about the story, sources claim the film is about an elderly couple struggling to bring up their son.



Says Vedhika, “I am so happy that I am working with the best in the industry at such an early stage in my career. Bala sir's direction is unique. I have learnt so much from him — for instance, the attention he pays to the look of his characters. I realised that half the work is done if one gets the look of the characters right.”



But what is so special about Bala's direction that it makes everybody who works with him go into raptures?



“Ah, that is something hard to explain. It can only be experienced. Actors who have worked with director Bala such as Vishal, Arya and Pooja will be able to understand what I say,” says the actor, with a grin, before speaking about how she landed the role.



“I could not find any roles to showcase my potential after Malai Malai, which was a commercial success in Tamil. It was then that I got a call from Bala's office. I had to audition for two days before being chosen for the role.”



Is Bala a hard taskmaster? Says Vedhika, “Professionally, you cannot find fault with him. If a director has a 100 per cent potential, you would definitely do your best to rise to his level of expectation. To me, hardwork is never strenuous. For me, what matters is that my work has to look good on screen. In fact, the most taxing day for me was a day when I did not have a single shot. I want to be known as a good actor,” she says.



That is how she is known in Andhra Pradesh, where her critically acclaimed Telugu film Banam was recently given a Nandi award.



Says Vedhika, “It was such a rewarding experience. Awards such as these encourage you to do better work.”



No comments: