Friday, April 12, 2013

'Mann Vasanai' in the air again!

When director Bharathiraja announced Annakodiyum Kodiveeranum, which was touted to be a realistic village-based story, back in 2011 there was inevitable doubt if the ace director could recreate the magic he had with evergreen films like Mann Vasanai, 16 Vayathinile and Mudhal Mariyadhai with his latest film. But Bharathiraja, who says village-based scripts are his forte, has no doubts about Annakodiyum Kodiveeranum, now shortened to Annakodi, making an impact with people. “It’s not a village story of current times. The movie is based on a real incident that occurred in a Dalit cobbler’s family near my village before 1960. The elderly people in my village asked me why I couldn’t make it into a film, and Annakodi was born as a gesture of respect for them,” says Bharathiraja, whose last directorial venture was Bommalattam five years back.




It’s love again that the director of six National Awards has dealt with in Annakodi. “I have told love stories in different ways in my previous films — be it Alaigal Oyivadhillai or Kizhake Pogum Rayil — but there are still many unexplored dimensions. There is no religion or community for love; it’s only we who have divided people with caste, colour, creed and other things. I reinstate this fact in this film with a real incident,” he says.
Karthika and Lakshman Narayan play lead roles in Annakodi


Bharathiraja is of the opinion that very few village-based scripts have been made into films of late, that too with an aesthetic or commercial touch. But according to him, Annakodi will be on a different plane altogether. While newcomer Lakshman Narayan plays the lead role in the film, actors Karthika, Manoj Bharathiraja and Meenal have played pivotal roles.



The movie should have actually been ready last year, but different things extended the work too long for the crew. “The first reason was I took breaks twice for about three months in the middle of shooting. At my age it was necessary. Then I cut a portion from the story, which I had included in the original plot, because it didn’t gel well. I can still make the excluded portion into another full-fledged film. All that caused delay,” says Bharathiraja.



Now, Annakodi is in the post-production stage and will be released during this summer.

No comments: