Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Producer Turns Villain for Bala


He’s actually a successful businessman who entered the film industry as a producer and distributor to pursue his passion for cinema. We are talking about Suresh, the man behind Studio 9 Media Works, who started his film journey by producing Shaam’s Six Candles. Now, with his next co-production Salim running successfully, Suresh is all set to don the greasepaint as well. During a chat, one can see the spark that director Bala spotted in him and offered him the role of the main villain in Thaara Thappattai. A leading light in the construction and hotel business in Madurai and Ramanathapuram, Suresh’s first love was acting. “I always wanted to be an actor, despite my wide business interests. So around 10 years ago, I started training with theatre group Koothu-p-pattarai with Arunachalam master,” he said. But he decided to learn about filmmaking the practical way, “I figured, it would be better that I learn all about budgets, technicalities and what makes a hit, before I ventured into acting. Apart from co-production, I have distributed and bought theatrical rights for over 24 films so far. My next production is Vasanthakumran starring Vijay Sethupathy.” So how did the big break happen as an actor? “I had met Bala sir during Paradesi since I was the distributor for two areas. I told him of my interest in acting and asked him for a role. Six months later, he called me for the role of the villain in Thaara Thappattai.” Suresh can't stop raving about his mentor. “Bala is like a God to me. He’s one of the directors I adore and I’m blessed to get my first film with him! My lifelong dream has come true,” he gushes. Despite his training in theatre, Suresh has left no stone unturned to give his best shot to the film. “For six months I have been training in special fights with Pandian Master, for my role.” His first shot in the film was a fight sequence. “But since I am comfortable with Bala sir, I wasn’t that nervous,” he laughs. The producer turned actor, has one more ace up his sleeve, “I was a choreographer during my college days and later I choreographed dances for 66 college events.” Apparently, he was inspired by Vijay’s films and is adept in both western and local folk numbers. With his all- rounder skills, it looks like Suresh is gearing up to be a complete entertainer indeed!

No comments: