Thursday, April 14, 2011

Below is the full text of Hazare's letter to the Prime Minister

India Against Corruption

A-119, Kaushambi, Ghaziabad . 201010. UP Ph: 09868069953

www.indiaagainstcorruption.org

Date: April 6, 2011

To,

Dr. Manmohan Singh,

Hon'ble Prime Minister of India

New Delhi

Dear Dr. Singh,

I have started my indefinite fast at Jantar mantar. I had invited you

also to fast and pray for a corruption free India on 5th April.

Though I did not receive any reply from you, I am hopeful that you

must have done that.

I am pained to read and hear about government's reaction to my fast.

I consider it my duty to clarify the points raised on behalf of

Congress party and the government by their spokespersons, as they

appear in media:

1. It is being alleged that I am being instigated by some people to

sit on this fast. Dear Manmohan Singh ji, this is an insult to my

sense of wisdom and intelligence. I am not a kid that I could be

"instigated" into going on an indefinite fast. I am a fiercely

independent person. I take advice from many friends and critics, but

do what my conscience directs me to do. It is my experience that when

cornered, governments resort to such malicious slandering. I am

pained that the government, rather than addressing the issue of

corruption, is trying to allege conspiracies, when there are none.

2. It is being said that I have shown impatience. Dear Prime

Minister, so far, every government has shown complete insensitivity

and lack of political commitment to tackling corruption. 62 years

after independence, we still do not have independent and effective

anti-corruption systems. Very weak versions of Lokpal Bill were

presented in Parliament eight times in last 42 years. Even these weak

versions were not passed by Parliament. This means, left to

themselves, the politicians and bureaucrats will never pass any law

which subjects them to any kind of objective scrutiny. At a time,

when the country has witnessed scams of unprecedented scale, the

impatience of the entire country is justified. And we call upon you,

not to look for precedents, but show courage to take unprecedented

steps.

3. It is being said that I have shown impatience when the government

has "initiated" the process. I would urge you to tell me - exactly

what processes are underway?

a. You say that your Group of Ministers are drafting the

anti-corruption law. Many of the members of this Group of Ministers

have such a shady past that if effective anticorruption systems had

been in place, some of them would have been behind bars. Do you want

us to have faith in a process in which some of the most corrupt

people of this country should draft the anti-corruption law?

b. NAC sub-committee has discussed Jan Lokpal Bill. But what does

that actually mean? Will the government accept the recommendations of

NAC sub-committee? So far, UPA II has shown complete contempt for

even the most innocuous issues raised by NAC.

c. I and many other friends from India Against Corruption movement

wrote several letters to you after 1st December. I also sent you a

copy of Jan Lokpal Bill on 1st December. We did not get any response.

It is only when I wrote to you that I will sit on an indefinite fast,

we were promptly invited for discussions on 7th March. I wonder

whether the government responds only to threats of indefinite fast.

Before that, representatives of India Against Corruption had been

meeting various Ministers seeking their support for the Jan Lokpal

Bill. They met Mr Moily also and personally handed over copy of Jan

Lokpal to him. A few hours before our meeting with you, we received a

phone call from Mr Moily's office that the copy of Jan Lokpal Bill

had been misplaced by his office and they wanted another copy. This

is the seriousness with which the government has dealt with Jan

Lokpal Bill.

d. Dear Dr Manmohan Singh ji, if you were in my place, would you have

any faith in the aforesaid processes? Kindly let me know if there are

any other processes underway. If you still feel that I am impatient,

I am happy that I am because the whole nation is feeling impatient at

the lack of credible efforts from your government against corruption.

4. What are we asking for? We are not saying that you should accept

the Bill drafted by us. But kindly create a credible platform for

discussions . a joint committee with at least half members from civil

society suggested by us. Your spokespersons are misleading the nation

when they say that there is no precedent for setting up a joint

committee. At least seven laws in Maharashtra were drafted by similar

joint committees and presented in Maharashtra Assembly. Maharashtra

RTI Act, one of the best laws of those times, was drafted by a joint

committee. Even at the centre, when 25,000 tribals came to Delhi two

years ago, your government set up a joint committee on land issues

within 48 hours. You yourself are the Chairperson of that committee.

This means that the government is willing to set up joint committees

on all other issues, but not on corruption. Why?

5. It is being said that the government wants to talk to us and we

are not talking to them. This is utterly false. Tell me a single

meeting when you called us and we did not come. We strongly believe

in dialogue and engagement. Kindly do not mislead the country by

saying that we are shunning dialogue. We request you to take some

credible steps at stemming corruption. Kindly stop finding faults and

suspecting conspiracies in our movement. There are none. Even if

there were, it does not absolve you of your responsibilities to stop

corruption.

With warm regards,

(K B Hazare)



இந்த அண்ணா ஹஸாரேயாலே இன்னா பெரீய தொந்தரவாய்ப்போச்சு! நல்லவேளை

தலைக்கு வந்தது தலைப்பாகையோடு போச்சு.. வெறும் லெட்டரோடே வுட்டாரே..

போதுமடா சாமின்னு எவ்வளவு நிம்மதியாப் பெருமூச்சு விடறாரு இப்ப நம்ம

மன்மோஹன் சிங்ஜி!(சர்தார்ஜிக்குத்தாங்க இந்த அடைமொழி எவ்வளவு நல்லா பொருந்துது பாத்தீங்கல்ல!)

No comments: